Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Privacy and Pictures

I’ve been wondering if I should put pictures up on the blog. I know some of the posts would definitely be more interesting if I did (especially the knitting and wedding posts). But at the same time, I’m afraid of putting myself out there too much. I guess I’m afraid of over-sharing and of opening myself up to criticism. Also, two of my favorite bloggers (Kate of the now sadly archived Shapely Prose and Cecily of Uppercase Woman) have mentioned getting absolutely heinous hate mail and I certainly don’t want to deal with that. On the other hand, I don’t think I’ve said anything that’s super controversial (though I’m sure I will at some point), and I don’t exactly have a huge readership right now.

For a long time, I was very careful to keep my name and face off the internet all together. I was afraid of being “found” by the abusive asshole I dated when I was 19-21. For a year after we broke up, he would call me at random times (sometimes in the middle of the night), asking me for money and such. I changed my phone number, but I was still terrified that he would find me. He never made specific threats or anything (he would say things like “I’ll make your life a living hell” though, which was scary enough), but he also very clearly violated my multiple requests that he leave me alone, so I knew I couldn’t trust him.

Now that I’m married and I have a new name, I’m not as scared any more. It also helps that by living with a man,  I don’t feel nearly as vulnerable. If someone dangerous did show up at my house, my husband is there too, and he can be pretty intimidating (heh - I’m making my husband sound like a guard dog!).

So, I don’t know what to do. Maybe I’ll figure out a way to take those arty pictures that shows stuff without showing my face? We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment